Safety Tips To Follow When You Have Pets
Cat sitting in an open stove.
We know that pets are important members of our families. So, we have compiled a list of things that we can all do to help keep our fur babies safe in the event of a fire:
- Make sure you check your smoke detectors regularly. Make sure they are installed correctly and that they have working batteries.
- Do not leave your pet(s) unattended with a lit fire or candles around your home.
- Keep updated tags with your contact information on your pet(s). If your pet is chipped, make sure your information is current.
- Place a decal in your front window listing your pet(s), so first responders can assist in locating them.
- Have an evacuation plan and practice it.
- If in an evacuation area, have a bin ready with supplies such as bowls, water, food, medication, leashes, etc. This will make the evacuation processes smoother with your pet(s).
If you had a fire in your home, give SERVPRO of Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead / NE Rancho Cucamonga a call at (908) 878-0302. Our professionally trained technicians will not only clean up the fire/water damage but we will take care of the reconstruction as well! We will make it "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO Is A Licensed Contractor
Let us help you get things back to normal!
Did you know that SERVPRO of Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead / NE Rancho Cucamonga is a licensed contractor?
You are probably wondering what that means for you…
Well, what that means is, when your kitchen is left looking in complete disarray after a fire or your bathroom toilet has sprung a leak, we can also put it back together for you!
If a tree branch falls onto your home leaving a hole in your roof, we can fix it up like it never happened.
This means that we can and will do the clean up on your property as well as the fix up to get your home or business back to the way it was before the damage was done.
Give us a call at (908) 878-0302, night or day!
It is important to do a chimney sweep yearly, or you may have a fire
Give us a call at (909) 878-0302 to clean your chimney and save you from fire damage in the future.
There are many reasons that your chimney needs to be cleaned. Dirty chimneys can cause chimney fires. These fires can cause damage to the structure, destroy your home and cause injuries or death. The most important reason is to avoid creosote buildup. Creosote is a natural by-product of burning a fire in your fireplace and is the leading cause of chimney fires. It is a smelly corrosive material that is incredibly combustible. Extreme heat and embers that drift up through the chimney can ignite the creosote buildup, causing a fire to burn in your chimney.
It is important to only burn seasoned or dried out wood in your fireplace and you should only start fires with clean newspaper or dry kindling.
Three indications that a chimney fire may be ready to occur are loud cracking and popping noises, a lot of dense smoke and an intense hot smell.
SERVPRO of Big Bear would like to remind you that it is important to remember, clean chimneys don’t catch on fire!
3 Signs That You Have A Broken Pipe.
This is the damage that you could have if you let a burst pipe linger without getting it fixed.
Sometimes a plumbing problem is very obvious, like when it’s raining from the ceiling - and you’re on the bottom floor. Or maybe when a small river begins to seep under your bathroom door. But sometimes, broken or damaged pipes are not so obvious. But they can still let you know they exist if you pay attention to the warning signs. By doing so, you can address the problem more quickly and avoid the damage and expensive repairs that come along with water damage in the Big Bear area. Here are the things that you should watch out for:
- Weird Sounds
Do you ever hear whistling in your home? You’re not doing it, nobody else in the house is doing it and strange dogs are showing up at your door? Well, whistling or whining also occurs when pipes get dented. It’s caused when water is no longer able to flow freely through a pipe. This increases water pressure and may cause a pipe to burst.
The sound can also be the sign of a worn out pressure-reducing valve. Without being replaced, it could lead to burst pipes, overflow, and other issues over time.
- Bad Smells
Another indication of a broken pipe are unusual or unpleasant odors. A common issue is with the p-trap. The p-trap is the U-shaped pipe that holds a small amount of water that forms a preventative seal against sewer gases coming up from your toilet or sink and into your home. If a crack causes that water to leak out of the p-trap, then you’ll have the odor of sewage in your home.
Also, when pipes become broken or backed up, sewage can’t exit the plumbing system properly. It’s important to deal with these problems quickly as sewage poses a significant health risk to your family and pets.
- Unusual Sights
Are you blaming little puddles in your home on your kids or pets? Yes, it could be them causing the puddles but if they continue to show up, especially in the same place, then that could be an indication of a damaged or broken plumbing.
Another unusual (and scary) sight that may indicate a broken pipe is a curiously high water bill. High usage could be caused by leaky toilets or faucets. Another cause may be that one of the underground pipes feeding water from your meter to your home may have a crack or loose joint. This can be caused by pipe age, seismic activity, tree roots, or animal activity.
Broken pipes aren’t uncommon and can usually be quickly and easily handled by a professional. But don’t put it off. The longer you wait, the more damage will be done and the more expensive it’ll be to fix. If you suspect you have broken pipes in your home, contact the experts at SERVPRO of Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead / NE Rancho Cucomanga. We are available 24/7 at (909) 878-0302.
Not only will we have your plumbing repaired, we’ll also fix any damage that was caused, making it “Like it never even happened."
Dirty Air Ducts Could Be Causing You Harm.
We are here to keep your Air Ducts and HVAC system running clean!
Dust, mold, pollen and other contaminants could be blowing into your home or business every time that your heater kicks on. These are things that you can’t see but they are affecting your health as well as anyone else that is in the building.
Our technicians are trained to fully check and clean your heating, ventilating and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Having SERVPRO fully clean your HVAC system not only keeps the air that you are breathing clean, but it also helps to extend the life span of your system.
Having this service done once a year before can:
- Help to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
Calling SERVPRO of Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead / NE Rancho Cucamonga to come take a look at your HVAC system can help save you a lot of money in the long run. Who doesn’t want to stay healthy and save money? So, give us a call at (909) 878-0302 to get more information on how we can help you with your Air Ducts and HVAC System!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Season Greetings To All!!
SERVPRO of Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead / NE Rancho Cucamonga wants to wish your family a very happy Holiday Season and a Merry Christmas!
The snow has fallen in Big Bear! Here are 5 things that you should do to get ready for winter!
We are here to help this winter season!
The snow has already started to fall in the Big Bear area. It may look pretty and be fun to play in, but it can also be pretty hazardous to your home or business.
Here are 5 things that you can do to your home or business to prepare for the colder and snowier weather.
- Insulate Your Windows - this will help keep the warm heat in and the cold heat out. This will help with heating costs by keeping those pesky air leaks away.
- Trim Those Tree Branches - As the snow falls, it will accumulate on the trees in your yard. This snow build up can get rather heavy causing the branches on the trees to break and fall on your home. Tree branch damage can get rather hefty.
- Inspect Your Fireplace/Heater - You need to make sure that all chimneys and vents are open and clear. You don’t want to cause smoke to back up into your building or for a fire to start due to build up from the previous years.
- Check Your Roof - Checking to make sure that your roof doesn’t have a leak saves you from possible nasty water leaks and ice dams from forming because of the heat in your house escaping from inside the building.
- Clear Out You Gutters And Downspouts - Leaving your gutters clogged up with the leaves from the previous fall could damage the foundation of your home as well as cause ice dams. You want to make sure that your gutters and downspouts are properly attached to your building.
Not making sure that your home or building isn’t properly set up for the winter, can leave you with a lot of damage done to the foundation, over all structure and to your wallet.
We can’t guarantee that these things won’t happen even if you follow these steps. But what we can guarantee is that we can help with the clean up and restoration!
Don’t hesitate to call us at 909-878-0302! SERVPRO of Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead / NE Cucamonga is available 24/7 to help with any problem, big or small!
Happy Thanksgiving from our SERVPRO family to yours!
Our SERVPRO family is very thankful for all of our customers and employees this year. We strive on making homeowners and business owners alike, happy with our work. Thank you for choosing SERVPRO of Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead / NE Rancho Cucamonga!
Have to evacuate your home? Don’t leave the house without these things!
We can help you after any natural disaster!
Flooding, Mudslides and Wildfires are just a few reasons why you might have to evacuate your home. Most of the time we are scrambling to remember things that we need to grab to take with us. It’s a stressful thing to go through, so we have created a list to help you remember some of the important things that you need to bring with you during an evacuation.
- Birth Certificates, Social Security Cards, License and Passports, Address Book
- House paperwork such as your Homeowner’s Policy, Lease, Insurance, Mortgage Documents, Loan Documents, Auto Policy, Life and Investment Files, Bank Records, etc.
- Prescription medication and over the counter medications like aspirin
- Clothes, for at least 3 days, for each person, expensive jewelry
- Toiletries like deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, brushes, shaving supplies
- Photo albums, photo CDs, home movies etc.
- Cameras, computers (at least the hard drives), flash drives
- Pet in carriers, pet health records, food, water (remember that shelters only allow Service Animals so please try to make arrangements for your animals beforehand)
- Keys, purse, wallet, cell phones, chargers, credit cards
- If there is still room think about taking pillows and blankets in case you can’t get into a shelter right away
- If there is anything else that you have in your house that you think is valuable (make your own list of these items)
Before you leave your home make sure that all windows and doors are secured. Go around and unplug things like lamps and TVs. Turn off propane gas
Don’t come back to your home unless you are cleared to go back by an official. Trying to get home before could cause you harm.
When you are allowed to go back home, make sure you give us a call 24/7 at 909-878-0302! We will help with getting your home back to how it was before you left!
Does your Building Have Mold?
With years of experience in mold remediation jobs, we at SERVPRO of Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead / NE Rancho Cucamonga are here to help!
As businesses have been closed for over 6 months, and are now starting to reopen, there may be mold that has grown in the buildings. Businesses are facing challenges of how to reopen safely. One concern that you might have is indoor exposure to mold as well as the potential health effects it poses.
Mold can grow on almost any organic substance, provided moisture and oxygen are present. Some of the causes can be tied to poor air circulation while buildings are shuttered, condensation buildup in air handling systems, and even rooms left dark in hotter months.
With years of experience in mold remediation jobs, we at SERVPRO of Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead / NE Rancho Cucamonga are here to help get your business ready to safely open.